Mathematics equips pupils with a uniquely powerful set of tools to understand and change the world. These tools include logical reasoning, problem-solving skills and the ability to think in abstract ways.
Mathematics is important in everyday life, many forms of employment, science and technology, medicine, the economy, the environment and development and in public decision-making.
Mathematics is a creative discipline. It can stimulate moments of pleasure and wonder when a pupil solves a problem for the first time, discovers a more elegant solution to that problem, or suddenly sees hidden connections.
- The mathematics teaching and learning at Corvedale CE Primary School is geared towards enabling all pupils to develop within their capabilities; not only the mathematics skills and understanding required for later life, but also an enthusiasm and fascination about maths itself.
- We aim to increase pupils’ confidence in maths so they are able to express themselves and their ideas using the language of maths with assurance.
- We are continually aiming to raise the standards of achievement of the pupils in Corvedale CE Primary School.
From September 2015, we introduced Singapore Maths. Although not all current year groups access this curriculum scheme in its entirety, the approaches and applications from this scheme will be transferred across all the year groups in the school to ensure all pupils benefit from this new approach.
Inspire Maths is a transformational, whole-school primary maths programme based on the leading Singapore Maths series My Pals are Here, used in 100% of Singapore's state primary schools.
- Accessible pupil textbooks introduce concepts in a highly scaffolded way, enabling all children to develop critical thinking skills, make mathematical connections and become confident mathematicians
- Built on a concrete - pictorial - abstract approach, ensuring secure foundations and deep understanding of mathematical concepts
- Uses a spiral progression to develop fluency, reasoning, and problem solving and conceptual understanding for mastery
Information on the Inspire Maths Curriculum
Oxford Owl Maths - help for parents supporting their children with mathematics
The materials below and the links within this text are from Oxford Owl Maths and are free for parents to access. These resources are designed to support you with your children’s maths throughout their primary years. You'll find a whole host of activities, simple ideas, top tips and eBooks to help your child with their maths at home.
There are lots of ways to help to build your child's confidence in maths. There are many fun games and activities you can do with your child that practise maths skills. Most children love playing games and it's an easy way to support their learning.
Oxford Owl guidance for parents with Maths in school